Friday, June 7, 2013

What’s Your Greatest Strength?

By Bob Cox

I was having a conversation the other day with someone who asked me what my greatest strength was. I thought to myself, “What a great question”. Why? Because it really made me slow down and go a little deeper as I sorted through the best qualities that I honestly like about me.

After several seconds, which probably felt a lot longer for both of us, I came up with the first answer that came to mind. “I think my greatest strength is that I strive to live a principal centered life. Over 20 years ago, I read one of the most profound books titled, “The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People” by Steven Covey. Of the seven habits that Covey discovered, one crucial quality that separates happy, well adjusted and successful people from chronically unhappy people is what they place at the center of their life. Highly effective people place the core values of honesty and integrity at the center of every decision they make while unsuccessful people don’t. Unsuccessful people put something else at the center, like themselves, their career, their spouse, their family or something else which leaves them feeling chronically frustrated, imbalanced and empty. When I’m confronted with a difficult decision, whenever I consult my conscious to make a principal centered choice, I always walk away with a feeling of peace knowing that I’ve made the best decision I could with the information I had. I no longer cave in to the desire to torture myself by second guessing past decisions because I did the best I could with the knowledge I had at the time”.

I’m sure that was probably more information than they really wanted to know, but one thing was certain…I FELT GREAT! Why? Because I was focusing on all my positive qualities and that has always felt good to me. I know I’m a sucker for praise, but who isn’t? If someone came up to you right now and they gave you an honest and sincere compliment without wanting anything from you, how would you feel? Chances are, YOU WOULD FEEL GREAT TOO!

No matter how busy you are or think you are, make the time to consider all your best character traits today. Resist the urge to put it off until later because you’ll probably forget about it. Do it right now! Better yet, put pen to paper and write down every single quality that you really like about yourself. Take as much time as you like, because you are worth it! Next, narrow it down to your single greatest character trait. Now describe how that character trait has helped you navigate through life. Finally, hold on to that thought all day and I challenge you to feel bad. Chances are, your day will unfold with unexpected pleasant surprises. Why? Because that’s what happens WHEN YOU’RE FEELING GREAT, MORE GREAT THINGS HAPPEN!
I was sharing this conversation with my wife Diana the other day when I realized that there was another character trait that’s even more important to my overall success and happiness. I’m not sure why it took several days for the true answer to come to me, but I’m just grateful that it did. I now realize that my single greatest character strength is the desire to constantly improve myself from the inside out. Every day, I focus on changing something I don’t like about myself by turning it into something that I will like. I’ve had the best success when I’ve taken on just one just one character trait at a time. Whenever I try to change everything I don’t like about myself all at the same time, I tend to feel so overwhelmed and frustrated, I just want to quit, which only makes me dislike myself even more. After all, nobody loves a quitter because a quitter is nobody!

After consulting your conscious about all your great qualities, I encourage you to adopt the quality of constantly improving yourself from the inside out. The only constant in life is change. Everything in this universe is evolving, whether we like it or not, including ourselves. With every breath we take, millions of new cells are born, replacing cells that die. So, embrace the changes within by visualizing your negative character traits like dying cells which are being replaced by positive and healthy new ones. Be sure to celebrate the great adventure of every new experience. Why? BECAUSE, LIFE IS SHORT AND YOU DESERVE TO FEEL GREAT ABOUT YOURSELF EVERY DAY!

No comments: