Friday, October 21, 2016

The Trenches of Your Mind

By Bob Cox

Shortly after watching the conclusion of the third presidential debate, I was particularly struck by an impassioned exchange between two Trump surrogates and two Clinton surrogates. When one of Clinton’s supporters, Patty Solis Doyle said she felt offended when Donald Trump referred to the illegal aliens from Mexico that have committed crimes in our country as bad hombres, my eyes rolled right along with the Trump supporters. Why? Because our society has seemingly become so hypersensitive to anything that we say and that no matter how benign it may be, it has the potential to offend somebody somewhere.

Just as I was about to dig that trench a little deeper in my mind, the voice of reason came to me like a message in a bottle that had been dropped from the sky when Van Jones stood up for Doyle by saying “You don’t get to determine what offends me..I don’t get to determine what offends you.” In other words, as long as the offending party fails to acknowledge that what they’ve said was offensive; then real understanding can never take place. Just like trench warfare during WWI, both sides dig in deep with no man’s land in the middle.

A few weeks ago, my wife Diana and I invited my son Bobby out to dinner to celebrate his birthday but the evening quickly unraveled when the topic of an upcoming speech he was about to give in school came up and he told us that he really didn’t want to hear any feedback from either of us. Those words felt just like a dagger in a very lopsided gift exchange: A nice meal out and a bag of thoughtful gifts for a punch in the gut. Diana and I were deeply hurt, offended and angry by his insensitive remark.


As he went on to explain his reasons, the trench only got deeper as he said that we frequently injected our unsolicited and unwelcomed advice on other family members. After the initial impact of that unexpected message was delivered, I told him how offensive his remark was, especially in light of the fact that he knows how much Diana and I treasure the exchange of deep, meaningful and soul searching ideas. We were both looking forward to hearing what he had to say on the fresh topic of lucid dreaming, something he’s very passionate about, but once he made that comment, I told him I wasn’t open to hearing his speech under those conditions.

During the uncomfortably quiet drive home, I had more time to process the dysfunctional exchange from the restaurant. I told him going forward, if he wanted to share something with us, he would need to be open to our feedback because we both have strong opinions on a number of subjects. If he didn’t want our opinions, he would be wise to not bring up the subject.

I explained that whenever I feel inspired to share anything I’ve written with Diana, I have to be emotionally prepared to handle whatever comes out of her mouth. Sometimes I’m not and on those rare occasions, I resist the urge to share with her and everyone stays in their happy place. On the other hand, when I do have the courage to speak and the tolerance to listen, we usually have a powerful and dynamic exchange of thoughts, feelings and ideas and I am exponentially richer for it.

As far as being the giver of unsolicited advice, I could double down by saying that’s his problem and then grab the nearest metaphorical shovel. Instead, I think I’ll work on that character flaw by asking for permission to provide feedback upfront so that I have the freedom to express my thoughts openly and honestly with the goal of having a truly authentic dialogue.    

No comments: