Sunday, October 2, 2016

I’m Not Losing My Hair I’m Gaining a Bald Spot

By Bob Cox

Growing up, my dad was my hero. He was a marine during WWII and he bravely fought the bad guys to ensure our freedom. He stood up for me more times than I could ever count and he was always there when I needed him most, which was all the time. One time when my best friend Vince and I got into another one of our infamously heated debates, I had to finally shut him down by saying that my dad even agreed with what I was saying. When he countered back by saying “Your dad isn’t always right”, I could only shake my head in disbelief and then reply, “Of course he’s always right, he’s my dad”!

I wanted to be so much like my dad, I even wished for a brief moment that I could have hair just like his. Fast forward three decades later and the diabolical jeannie that eavesdropped on those weird little thoughts granted that terrible wish! As my head of thick wavy brown hair gave way to the dreaded bald spot taking over the back of my skull, I had far too many moments of feeling distraught over such a plight.

Then, I got lucky and met a woman named Diana and she would change my life forever. A few years later, I married that woman, who also was my best friend and soul-mate. Every time I brought up my concerns over going bald, she emphasized that she didn’t care about that and loved me unconditionally. Each time I saw the love in her eyes and knew for certain she meant it. Over time, I realized that while I was losing hair in all the wrong places, I had actually gained something far more valuable than a humongous bald spot that would’ve made my dad proud: freedom from an unhealthy level of vanity.

Today, I have less hair than I did since I partied in a soggy diaper during my first birthday but I’ve never been happier. I think that’s because I’ve learned to take a lot more time to celebrate all the good things I’ve gained and a lot less time mourning the things I’ve lost. Maybe the wish I had all those years ago wasn’t such a terrible thing after all.


No comments: