Wednesday, December 31, 2014

The Toxic Tree of Fear & Self Doubt

By Bob Cox

The other day, I had a phone conversation with my son Bobby and he confided that he had been dealing with some unresolved anxieties. When I asked him if he knew what the underlying causes were, he said yes but he wasn't sure how he was going to solve them.

At that point, I reminded him that the only permanent and healthy way to eliminate any recurring problem was for him to dig deeper and uproot the underlying fears and self doubts that were creating the anxiety. Superficial options, like prescription drugs or alcohol might give him a temporary repite from his troubles, but the source of his anxieties would surely come back with greater frequency and intensity. Merely cutting down and removing the toxic tree of fear and self doubt would never be a permanent solution. He would have to go deeper and remove the entire root system before going on to the next tree.

Years ago, I read a self help book that offered a very unique and insightful way of handling overwhelming problems. The author encouraged his readers to pretend that you’re looking at the present moment as though it’s a memory and you are on your death bed, wishing you could travel back in time and make a different choice. What choice would you make and why do you believe it would it create better results?

Before I started Go For It Magazine seven years ago, I was faced with one of the most challenging situations of my life. After working as an independent rep with a company for many years, there was an abrupt change in ownership. I walked in one day and learned that the franchise owner, who was also a good friend was suddenly gone, replaced by a team of corporate representatives that assured us that business would go on as usual, with few changes or interruptions.

Over time, those reassurances gradually disappeared as the company fell under the financial microscope of their stockholders. Little by little, our professional freedoms were being stripped away. To make matters worse, a brand new management team was installed to turn things around. These were not the warm and friendly people that we had worked with for so many years. These were people that appeared to lack a beating heart or have an ounce of compassion. In that final, dysfunctional year, the only thing the company really managed was to hasten the revolving door for their sales reps and administrative managers.

As the month’s dragged on and the situation continued to deteriorate, I practiced the exercise mentioned earlier and the answer came to me with great clarity. Staying and trying to fix the problem clearly hadn't worked. As much as I liked my co-workers and the growing income, I knew I had to make a positive change and leave. I had to come to terms with my own fears and self doubts and knew that as long as I stayed in that toxic environment, the situation would likely never get better.

If you’re grappling with a toxic tree that appears larger than life, give this technique a try. This approach to problem solving can lead you to greater insights by creating a healthier distance from the problem. The additional space should help you travel above the clutter of negative thoughts that may prevent you from coming up with a clear solution. Finally, you’ll be able to see the problem through a different set of eyes and give you the fresh perspective you need to attack the issue with greater enthusiasm head on.d

No comments: