Tuesday, November 18, 2014

The Presence and Presents of Joy

By Bob Cox

The best year of my childhood occurred every year I that can remember from Thanksgiving weekend until Christmas Day. From Thanksgiving Day until December 25th, I was completely swept up in holiday cheer. Everything about Christmas excited me. No show or cartoon on TV about Christmas was too sappy or contrived to miss. Every Christmas song I heard, every Douglas Fir I inhaled and every snow scene I saw that was painted on the windows of local businesses made my heart race with anticipation. During that incredibly long four week period, I was locked in and “present minded”!
Would today be the day my parents headed for the mall, throw financial caution to the cool ocean winds of South Torrance and bestow upon me another bounty of gifts that I truly did not deserve? When no one was looking, which was often, I would sneak around the house like a young Sherlock Holmes, snooping for hidden treasures under beds, in closets and anywhere else my curiosity took me. My excitement would reach a crescendo once the gifts were wrapped and nestled under the tree as my imagination of what was concealed went wild.

Then, after each season was over, I found myself dreading the inevitable letdown. Within a few hours after all the presents were unwrapped, I would feel an empty sadness after riding so high on that magical holiday wave. Once I became a teenager, the thrill of Christmas waned over time until it became just another holiday. I truly missed the fun and excitement of such anticipation, but had no idea how to get that back.

As an adult, I have discovered the joy of planning vacations with my wife Diana, even when we don’t end up going! Shortly after I begin planning our trip, I start to feel that same excitement I did when I was a kid during Christmas. Once we leave, within a few minutes I feel a great relief at the thought of leaving all my responsibilities behind. From there, I try hard to stay in the moment, even when things don’t go according to plan.

As I look back on these memories, I now realize that I wasn't exactly experiencing the present moment. I was actually thinking and planning ahead for a future event. One could make a strong argument that during those experiences, I wasn't practicing the awesome power of being present minded by living in the here and now. On the other hand, those encounters helped me experience real joy in the present moment and isn't that what we all ultimately want more of in our lives?



I believe that the key to life is to have as much joy as we can while we are here and share this joy with the people we love. Does it really matter if we find great joy reminiscing about the past, being completely present with our surrounding environment or planning our next great adventure? It brings me joy to think not!

No comments: