Thursday, February 23, 2017

A Stormy Day in Southern California

By Bob Cox
When my parents decided that our family could afford to move to the nicer side of town, I was really excited we were going for it. Sure, I was going to miss the good old days playing with my friends, eating corn dogs with my dad at The Yellow Basket Restaurant and driving by the Mobil Oil Refinery and watching the sifting piles of “black sand” empty out of long tubes from the tall machines. But our new house had plenty to offer, so I was feeling good about the future.
As a 6 year old adventure seeker, I didn’t care about the cleaner air, the prettier neighborhood or the great view we had at the top of the hill. What really mattered was living in a 2 story house and the cool fountain that spilled into a small pond in the corner of our backyard. Behind the fountain was dirt and plants, the perfect setting to create my own primeval world!
From the time I was little fat dough-ball in diapers, I had steadfastly collected every plastic dinosaur ever created. Now I had the perfect environment to travel back 65 million years with T- rex and his biggest and baddest rivals!
A few months after we moved in, T-rex and triceratops we’re engaged in an epic struggle when I noticed that the water wasn’t coming out of the fountain as fast as it once did. My sisters tried to convince me that I ruined it, but I refused to believe it had anything to do with the dirt I piled at the top of the fountain to create a more authentic jungle-like atmosphere of a muddy river poring into a dark and spooky lake. With the river not flowing right, I needed another strategy to avoid the dreaded B word…boredom, the silent killer of joy among our kind, you know brats like me!
Back then, we only had six television stations to choose from and my thinking at the time was that if it made it on television, it must be good enough to watch and learn from. My next great inspiration came before the phrase “kids, don’t try this at home” became vogue. I was watching Lucille Ball on “The Lucy Show.” I sat mesmerized as Lucy and her neighbor Vivian (Vivian Vance) were stuck in the bathroom shower with the water rising near their necks. I couldn’t understand why they had such panicked looks on their faces, since having a swimming pool for a shower looked like great fun to me!
I rushed home from school later that day, tore out of my clothes and slipped on my one and only pair of swimming trunks. I dashed up the stairs, turned on the shower in my parent’s bathroom and braced myself for an afternoon of wet and wild adventure. Since our shower didn’t have a plug to keep the water in, I was forced to improvise. I grabbed a washcloth and plugged up the drain to prevent the water from draining out. I thought “Boy, wait until my three big sister’s get home. I’ll be the envy of the neighborhood!”
As the minutes went by, I noticed the shower not filling up as high as I expected so I cranked up the water full blast to get the swimming party started. When my sisters came home, I heard some muffled yelling behind the closed bathroom door as I looked down at my prune textured fingers. I was shouting “Life Boy with mint, mint, mint” from a soap commercial I saw one too many times), when the door suddenly flung open, I can only remember a few choice words, like “You idiot,” “What were you thinking” and “Wait until dad gets home!” Wow, that certainly wasn’t the reaction I was hoping for.

Before I made the long and soggy walk down the stairs, I was struck by how wet the bathroom floor and the carpet in my parent’s bedroom was. “How did that happen,” I wondered to myself. When I finally reached the family room, I couldn’t believe my eyes as drops of water fell from our ceiling like rain. That indoor thunderstorm would be a drop in the bucket compared to the force that would be arriving home soon and straight out of Inglewood where he worked, “Hurricane Dad!”

No comments: