Friday, August 22, 2014

Live Your Dream . . . Not Someone Else's

By Bob Cox

Last month, while delivering magazines to one of my clients, I asked him how he was doing. He chuckled lightheartedly and responded “I’m living the dream”. His good friend chimed in “Yeah, but who’s dream is it”? We all three enjoyed a good laugh as I bolted through the door and onto the next delivery.

After an entire day of delivering and soul searching, I asked myself if I had been living my dream for the past several years. The honest answer was a resounding NO! I had failed to share my primary motivation for starting Go For It Magazine with my clients. Why? Because I enlisted two close companions, fear and self doubt, to protect me from the danger of being rejected by the people I have a great respect for: entrepreneurs.

For over six years, I had been telling my clients that our magazine was created to give local businesses an affordable way to advertise during the Great Recession. While that statement was 100% true, it was not the primary reason I created the only freely distributed self-improvement magazine for our community. I started Go For It Magazine because I knew what it was like to live my dream, what it was like to live someone else's and the startling difference between the two!

After six and a half years of long hours attending school and working late nights doing janitorial work, I accomplished my goal and earned a four year degree in marketing from Sac State. I finally figured out what I wanted to do: Work for a large advertising agency in Los Angeles. I had always been fascinated by human behavior, so working on major ad campaigns would give me the opportunity to unleash my creative imagination while trying to figure out what motivates people to buy the stuff they buy.

Immediately after graduating, I wrote a strong resume and mailed it to every ad agency in L.A. Days turned into weeks as the phone mocked me in silent protest while the bills continued to roll in. The financial pressure became unbearable, so I set my dream aside, took the first job offer and then spent the next four years in a prison without bars: Retail management.

Now, don’t get me wrong. Retail is a wonderful profession, it just didn't happen to be my life’s calling. I did my best to make the most of my new career, but I felt the life force draining out of me with each passing day. Just when I thought I couldn't sink any lower, the store manager pulled my aside one day and said, “Bob, I don’t think you’re cut out for retail”. I thought, “Great, now I can’t even succeed at something I don’t even care about”!

Fortunately, everything changed one sunny Saturday afternoon when my parents eagerly gave me a price guide on baseball cards. I thought, “That’s nice, my parents have finally lost their minds and think I’m still 10 years old. I guess they can’t they see that I’m grown man, standing here in their used book store with my wife, my son and a migraine the size of Dodger Stadium”! After several months, I opened the magazine and was shocked to discover that I had thousands of dollars worth of cards in an old shoe box. I became so inspired, I started an investment guide on baseball card collecting, calling on hundreds of card shops all across the country, asking them to advertise in our magazine. The last time I felt that excited was when I was a 10 year old kid opening up baseball card packs!

While that venture didn't pan out financially, it opened the doors to an amazing opportunity when I got a job in advertising sales. From the second I went out with one of the advertising reps, I was hooked! At the end of each work day, I had plenty of energy left over to enjoy real quality time with the people I loved. Every morning, I woke up early and invested in myself, reading messages that inspired me to improve every facet of my personal and professional life. Within three years, my earnings nearly doubled, I was loving life and living the dream…my dream!

If you’re currently living your dream, please email your story to us so we can share it with all our readers and encourage everyone to go for it!



No comments: