Monday, August 4, 2014

Being a Good Leader of the Pack

By Bob Cox

Before I began watching Cesar Milan, a.k.a. “The Dog Whisperer”, I found myself feeling frustrated whenever I took my dog The Nut for a walk. Oftentimes, she would take off like a bottle rocket on the Fourth of July whenever she saw something she wanted to chase after. Let me tell you, when you have too many pounds of unbridled excitement burst forward without any obvious notice, there’s a tremendous amount of unwanted impact that happens on the other side of the leash. I suffered the consequences of severe shoulder strain while nearly being knocked off my feet on multiple occasions. My poor wife Diana fared even worse as she dislocated a shoulder from several of these Nutty encounters!

I pointed the finger at my dog for being the source of the problem. I reasoned that if she would just calm down whenever she saw a squirrel or cat; we could both enjoy a leisurely stroll through the neighborhood. What I learned from Cesar is that while I had pointed the finger at my dog, I had three fingers pointing back at me. In that moment of clarity, I realized that I was the true source of the problem. I was being a bad pack leader.

My transformation from being a bad pack leader to being a good pack leader began when I redefined the purpose of my walks with The Nut. In the past, I self-centeredly used these walks to either get lost in a sea of thoughts or mentally check out altogether while being oblivious to the external environment. When I made the decision to redefine the purpose of our walks, which was to help my dog and I enjoy our 20 minutes together by becoming an effective and respected pack leader, everything changed for the better.

The first step on our walk to achieve greater balance and joy began when I chose to tune in and pay attention to our surrounding environment while appreciating the beauty of the great outdoors. Once this shift occurred, oftentimes I would spot the potential target of pray before The Nut and swiftly avoid potential chaos by moving her gently to the opposite side of my body while maintaining our pace. On the few occasions when she saw a dastardly varmint, I quickly redirected her locked-down focus with either a quick touch to her body or tug on the leash. After two or three corrections, we were back on a positive path forward and I followed through by rewarding her with praise for a job well done.

For those of you who don’t own a dog, the principals of being a good pack leader can be practiced in any situation when your goal is to create a healthy relationship with another animal we like to call human beings. Would you like to be a better parent, spouse or co-worker? Great, that’s half the battle! The desire to improve is healthy because it can become a catalyst for positive and lasting change. The next step to resolving any conflict involves a wise and simple course of action. Be sure to take yourself off the autopilot of self-centered thinking and plug into the moment. When you do this, you change the agenda from “me” to “we”. Listen to your partner attentively and find out what they want from the relationship. When you do this, you set the bar of trust, respect and cooperation higher and your partner will feel more encouraged to reciprocate. Finally, if either you or your partner gets off track, don’t ignore the bad behavior and allow unspoken resentments to build up and fester. A quick correction, followed up with sincere praise insures a brighter path and a more peaceful walk for us all.


No comments: