Thursday, May 29, 2014

The Bargain Hunter of Flooring

By Bob Cox

Q & A with Ralph Opfer Flooring Sacramento

Q: You have a reputation for being “The Bargain Hunter of Flooring”. How did that get started?

A: That is something that my dad always did. Suppliers would call him and say, “Hey, we've got these leftovers, do you want them? And he’d say yes! So, he had a warehouse full of decently priced quality merchandise and I've just kept that going.

Q: How are you able to give people such great bargains on flooring?

A: I do the same thing now that my dad did. My suppliers all have close-out lists and I check those all of the time for special buys I can pass on to my customers. I get the lists sent to me on a regular basis, so I always have access to special buys.

Q: Can you recall the last time you purchased a really good deal on a close-out?

A: I just bought several pallets of Pergo because it was three colors they were closing out. They wanted to totally close them out, so they lowered the price to where I bought everything they had left. Now I can sell it at a lower price. Normally, it sells for around $1.99 to $2.29 a square foot. It’s at $1.39 right now!

Q: Does a bargain on flooring ever mean inferior quality?

A: No. I will never buy anything that I think is inferior quality. I could go to a couple of suppliers here in town and buy laminate for 59 cents a square foot. I won’t do it because the quality is not there.

Q: Does being a bargain hunter mean either inferior service or no service?


A: Absolutely not! My service never changes, whether it’s a bargain or a full priced item. I’m here to help people make a big decision and I’ll put in as much time as I need to help them make that decision, whether it’s a bargain or not.

No comments: