Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Siphoning off the Bucket List

By Bob Cox
I just finished writing what I thought was a very compelling and thoughtful article and then I made the stupid decision to share it with my wife Diana, who of course hated it. She said its spring and we need a fun and light hearted article that makes people happy, not something dark and depressing. You should write about joy, the new happy song and the two positive insights you have shared from the bucket movie. After careful consideration, I begrudgingly agreed that I would go ahead and write about joy and all that other stuff, but I was not happy about it!
So, what exactly is the happy song, the bucket movie and the two positive insights Diana is referring to? Pharrell Williams is the writer and singer of the mega-hit song called “Happy”, which he performed at the 2014 N.B.A. All Star Game. Happy was released just over two months ago in the movie “Despicable Me 2” and has already garnered nearly 6 million views on You Tube and topped the charts is 15 countries. Diana absolutely loves the song and she shared it with one of her friend’s today and it brought her tears of, you guessed it…joy!
Speaking of joy, I found myself quoting a line to my son Bobby who was in an unusually dark mood one day, from one of our favorite movies’, “The Bucket List”, starring Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman. The movie’s story is about two terminally ill elderly men sharing a hospital room. Against everyone’s advice, they decide to throw caution to the wind and take a trip around the world together with a list of things to do before they “kicked the bucket”. In one scene, Carter Chambers (Morgan Freeman) shares a powerful insight with his buddy Edward Cole (Jack Nicholson), a supremely confident self made man who built a billion dollar company from scratch, but is desperately lacking a sense of peace and contentment. Chambers makes Cole really ponder and reflect on his life after he makes the most profound statement in the movie. Of course, when someone as regal looking as Morgan Freeman, who also possesses a voice that makes Barry White sound like a soprano speaks, everything he says sounds like a commandment from God. “Thou shall not steal and oh yeah, pass the butter”!
In a nutshell, here’s what Chambers tells Cole: “You know, the ancient Egyptians had a beautiful belief about death. When their souls got to the entrance to heaven, the guards asked two questions. Their answers determined whether they were able to enter or not. “Have you found joy in your life? Has your life brought joy to others?”
The more I think about that simple and powerful statement, the more it resonates with me. As I grow older, I have been experiencing joy more and more, in spite of all the compelling reasons I should be more stressed out. After all, my bucket shaped clock is ticking louder than ever and I have been growing and losing hair in all the wrong places while accumulating more pounds than a British bank! I’m learning to laugh at the man in the mirror, which is getting easier to do for all the aforementioned reasons and there’s a refreshing freedom associated with taking myself and life a little less seriously. I’m also experiencing more joy as I have discovered how liberating it is to make choices without fear of diminishing my self worth and confidence. I like to believe that the joy I’m experiencing, even in the simplest of moments, is also enhancing the joy of the people I love. If that is the case, the only thing I can feel is, you guessed it…joy!


No comments: