Thursday, September 28, 2017

Falling in Love with Valley Motorwerks

By Bob Cox

When Debra Tuoto purchased her 2008 BMW 335i convertible coupe from a friend last year, she had mixed feelings. On the one hand, she was excited about the look, feel and reputation of her newest acquisition. On the other hand, she was nervous about purchasing a vehicle that was nearly a decade old and had a plethora of mechanical issues that needed to be fixed. “It’s very scary to buy a used BMW because the work can be quite extensive and extremely expensive, so I wanted to really find out what was going on with it”, explained Debra.
Under those challenging circumstances, Debra knew that they key to tackling the problems and keeping her car well maintained down the road was finding an honest and competent service and repair facility. “I’m a commercial insurance agent, so I know the shops in the area. I bought my car from a friend that’s another insurance agent who I trust and he is the one that sent me over to Valley Motorwerks”, Debra said.

Debra’s initial impression of Valley Motorwerks was like love at first sight, especially when she compared them to her previous experiences with other facilities. “I felt like the previous shop was trying to take advantage of me because I’m a woman and it was blatant. I have a background as a mechanic, which they didn’t know and the things that they wanted me to repair weren’t necessary. When I challenged them, they got real snotty, so I couldn’t go there anymore”, Debra recalled.

Debra’s experience with Valley Motorwerks was like making an abrupt u-turn off misery lane and onto the highway to happiness. “I felt honesty from them right away. I didn’t feel like they were trying to gouge me and they were clear about only doing the things that needed to be done right away. They took my budget into consideration and gave me several options, which I greatly appreciated”, said Debra.

Debra was equally impressed with the cleanliness of Valley Motorwerks, from the front counter to the back of their expansive building. “I loved how clean it was and that you could see back into the shop. I could tell they specialized in BMW’s and I knew my car was in good hands”, Debra said.

Another thing that Debra has appreciated about Valley Motorwerks was getting to know the owner of the shop, Dave Trux. Dave is a very committed hands-on owner who cultivates healthy relationships with everyone that walks through his front door. “I like that Dave is knowledgeable but he doesn’t talk to me in a demeaning way about what needs to be done on the car. That is very hard to find. Everybody wants an honest mechanic but I also wanted to be treated respectfully, as if I was a friend and that’s the way they roll at Valley Motorwerks”, explained Debra.

I asked Dave Trux what his secret was to winning over his female customers, especially those who’ve been burned in the past. “Women probably account for half the cars driven in the country and they deserve to be treated with honesty and respect. We created some core values here at the shop and the most important one is treating everyone that walks through the door like a member of our family. That treatment doesn't just extend to our customers; it includes everyone, from the guy who picks up our waste oil to the gal who delivers our parts”, Dave explained.

Another crucial component to the success of Valley Motorwerks, which has been in business over 13 years, is superior communication skills. Dave and his service technicians take the time to accurately diagnose each vehicle and then carefully explain their findings to the vehicle’s owner. “One of the things I ask most often is, “Does that make sense? This is what we’re doing, this is why we’re doing it, this is what needs to happen, does that makes sense to you?” said Dave.

Valley Motorwerks is focused on the service and repair of four types of vehicles: BMW, Volkswagen, Audi and Mini Cooper. “When it comes to servicing and repairing German automobiles, we truly are Sacramento's original dealership alternative. You will get the same high level of service that you would get at the dealership without the expense of a dealership. We have factory trained technicians, a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty and install OEM parts. It's just like going to the dealership but you get to keep a lot more money in your pocket”, explained Dave.

Another advantage that Valley Motorwerks enjoys over traditional dealerships is the freedom to install superior aftermarket parts. “Dealers have to meet strict franchise agreements, so the dealerships have their hands tied in many instances. We have the ability to install a variety of superior aftermarket items, including exhaust systems, suspension and brakes. We offer brakes that give you the stopping power of a factory pad without the excessive brake dust”, Dave said.

Dave is a very passionate advocate of honesty and transparency. For those reasons, he has several large windows that make his entire shop visible. “We wanted a seamless look, from the front of our shop to the back of our shop. Customers absolutely love the fact that they can watch their car while it's being worked on. That transparency also keeps us on our game and encourages us to keep the shop clean and orderly. If I had a dollar for every time somebody said they loved being able to look out into the shop, we probably would have closed the doors a long time ago”, laughed Dave.

Editor’s notes: If you need another reason to fall in love with Valley Motorwerks, be sure to ask them how they can honor your extended warranty! Valley Motorwerks is located at 11403 White Rock Road in Rancho Cordova, CA. For more information about them, contact Dave Trux at (916) 636-9526 or visit their website at www.vmwerks.com.


No comments: