Friday, March 24, 2017

Swatting Flies with a Sledgehammer

By Bob Cox

When it comes to the critical subject of criticism, chances are good that you’ve run across someone who practices the fine art of brutal honesty. They may even behave like an annoying and obnoxious braggart, declaring how unafraid they are to tell it like it is, anytime, anywhere and to anyone.

On the one hand, offering honest and direct feedback can be an extremely admirable character trait, but only when it’s delivered and received in a healthy way. When the stakes are high, the decision to be completely open and transparent by sharing the uncensored version of what you believe, think or feel does require the positive character trait of courage.

Unfortunately, it also requires an even greater negative quality: callousness. When you choose the sledgehammer approach to swatting lies like flies, you may get lucky and squash a few, but look at the destruction you’re causing! Also, you’re likely to be seen as a self centered narcissist and that only cares about your desire to express an unfiltered message. Brutal honesty typically leads to an ironic and miserable outcome because the truth-teller may sincerely believe that their misguided approach will build a foundation of trust and respect, when in fact it often destroys it, especially when the motives of the truth-teller are called into question.

Case in point: When I was a child, my dad was my hero for a number of very good reasons. At the top of that list was his unwavering commitment to always being honest and expecting no less from me. All those warm and fuzzy feelings evaporated quickly during my 16th year of life. Shortly after being uprooted 400 miles from the home I grew up in, I fell into a spiraling whirlpool of self pity and despair that I believed was caused by being separated from the people and places I loved. After articulating those honest feelings with daily updates about my miserable little life that I blamed him for, dad responded with cold heartedness by telling me that I needed to get a job. While I knew he was being honest, I questioned his motives, believing that he cared less about my happiness and more about his by shutting me up once and for all! Looking back, I can understand the method to his madness.

Since I cannot endorse the sledgehammer approach to honesty, do I advocate lying in order to spare the feelings of others? No, because lying is primarily motivated by one of two fears: Either you’re afraid of not being strong enough to handle the guilt of hurting someone else’s feelings or you’re afraid the recipient is too fragile to handle your criticism. Either way, fear becomes the primary motive to avoiding the truth and that fear will become fertile soil for a bumper crop of pain and misery.


So, what on earth am I advocating? I believe in tempering the brutal impact of authentic criticism with generous quantities of compassion. One way to achieve that healthy balance is to strive for the Platinum Rule, which is to do onto others the way they (not you) would like to be done onto. To practice the Platinum Rule successfully, you have to be willing to extend generous amounts of time and energy to thoroughly understand the person you’re planning to critique. Once you learn more about the person, then you’ll be in a better position to deliver an honest and compassionate message that builds a solid foundation of mutual trust and respect.

No comments: