Sunday, July 24, 2016

How Couple Juggles 3 Successful Businesses

By Bob Cox

The cavernous hole that I dug in my backyard several summers ago has been a constant reminder of a project that I feared would remain an unfulfilled dream. And I mean unfulfilled quite literally (with water, fish, lilies etc.) as the pond and waterfall feature I wanted so badly remained untouched for over three years. One urgent, expensive and time consuming project after another continued to take priority as that awful eyesore in my backyard plagued me with this repetitive thought: “You’ll never finish me”!

Then, about a month ago, the clouds parted and beams of light burst through when my wife Diana said, “Bob, we finished all the major projects that needed to get done, so let’s work on your pond”. I immediately reached out to my good friend and client Victor Alejandre, who is an experienced electrician and handyman to help me tackle this beast of a project.

Working together, Victor and I did in one day something I thought might never get done! The following day, I was so excited; I built the fountain feature and dropped the large black liner into the gaping hole and filled it with refreshing clear water. Diana and I can now look forward to many mornings of tranquility together, enjoying our even more beautiful backyard.

I recently caught up with Victor and his lovely wife Rebecca Spuehler, who is also a good friend and client, to learn more about how this amazing couple juggles not one; not two, but three very successful businesses with the grace and effortless ease of ballroom dancers. Here’s how our conversation went:

Q: What's it like to be the owners of three successful businesses?

Victor: I find that it's a blessing. It's nice to be able to rely on three businesses instead of just one. We both bring professionalism, quality, wisdom and experience.

Q: Do either of you ever feel stressed out to have so much responsibility?

Rebecca: I do (laughing)! But I can usually call on Victor if it gets to that point. Where the steam is boiling, he usually comes running and says how can I help?

Q: That sounds just like the relationship I have with my wife, she's the fire and I'm the water. So between the two of us there's a lot of steam in the house.

Rebecca: Yes it is steamy at times (laughing), but most of the time it’s actually calm in our house. We don't bring a lot of this home. It is our peaceful place.

Q: Victor, how long have you been self-employed?

Victor: I've been self-employed for 25 years and my business really took off when I got my journeyman’s license in electrical. Before that, I was an electrician with a large unionize company. I now have experience with residential and commercial and I do everything by code.

Q: What are a few other projects you commonly do?

Victor: I install a lot of floor tile, wall tile and ceiling tile, especially in bathrooms. I do a lot of bathroom and kitchen remodels and finish plumbing. With electrical projects, I do everything from the panel to the receptacle to the lights; whatever is needed.

Q: Do you have anything you specialize in?

Victor: Yes, I have extensive experience working on mobile homes. They are nothing like regular homes. It’s easy to mess things up if you don’t really know what you’re doing.

Q: How do you handle all the stress of owning three businesses?

Victor: I have a strong faith.

Rebecca: I know that the prices that he charges are very fair because for a long time he was undercharging people. We both feel like because of our faith, the jobs are given and so we know he'll always get work. He guarantees all his work because he's a man of his word and he’s honorable.

Victor: If you don’t have money, that’s no problem because I accept Visa and MasterCard too (laughing)!

Q: Rebecca, how were you’re able to successfully merge your Avon business with Victor’s business when you first got married?

Rebecca: When I first got together with Victor, I was more of a workaholic. So, I learned to kind of relax a little bit. He’s become more important in my life than my business, although I still love and enjoy my business.

Q: What are the advantages of owning the only Avon store in Sacramento?

Rebecca: When people need product right away, they can come here and find it. We are also a business center and so a lot of people come here and get signed up to start a business. We are the only store and training center here in Sacramento and we currently have about 900 Avon reps. We really have an amazing team here at the office.

Q: If a person is thinking about starting their own Avon business, what are the best reasons for choosing to sign up with you?

Rebecca: Well, I think the support that they’ll receive here is a great reason. Another reason is because I’ve been with Avon for over 20 years and I’ve had success with it. For me personally, my biggest reason is my faith.

Q: Why did you get involved with doTerra Essential Oils?

Rebecca: Two close friends were using the products and I noticed some very positive changes, so I took some home and gave it a try. Victor suffered from a chronic cough for six years, so we applied the oil on him and just two weeks later, his cough was completely gone! I've lost weight and have reduced pain from arthritis using these oils. This weekend I used it on my doggie to clear up his ear infection. The other day a lady came in and said her husband was suffering from gout. He’s now using the lemon essential oil, which has helped break up the painful granules in his feet.
Q: Can you tell us a little about the history of doTerra?
Rebecca: doTerra was founded in 2008 and they specialize in high quality essential oils that have the potential to help people enjoy better health. Essential oils are found in the seeds, bark, stems, roots, flowers and other parts of plants and have been used for centuries for health-care practices.


Q: Is there anything else of vital importance that must be known?

Rebecca: Yes, my Grandson Tyler does help and he is the inspiration behind it all! 

No comments: