Friday, March 22, 2013

Pluggin In

by Bobby Cox

There I was, laying atop an old and rusted drag on the third floor of ancient Mill 1 at Farmer's Rice Co. in West Sacramento, CA – on the verge of a complete emotional breakdown. My job for the day was to clean all the cobwebs off the equipment and ceiling of a place that is like a modern day dust bowl. My face was hot and moist from sweat; sweat caused from wearing a mask that protected me from breathing in the large quantities of dust. I could barely see out of my safety glasses and my clothes were filthy; an everyday occurrence. My back was in severe pain. Each time I put my left arm down to crawl across the drag it felt like someone was shoving their hand through my chest and out my back. I had hurt it a few days earlier playing basketball and apparently having to crawl on all fours didn't agree with it. I couldn't stand my job. Working in that filth everyday, cleaning things that would be dirty again in a week at most, and having to do it in pain... I just couldn't handle it anymore. In addition to the tangible mess I found myself surrounded by – the emotional anguish and severe depression I felt, were the main sources of my pain; only exacerbated by the environment I had to deal with for over 2 years. The sense of despair was unbearable and I seemingly had no control over my thoughts, thoughts that had a voracious appetite for the the negative and destructive. I couldn't stop thinking about how alone I felt, how I couldn't seem to get out of my own way, and how much of a waste of time life was when I couldn't even live it the way I wanted because I was too afraid of failure. I moved slowly, painfully, down the ladder and off the drag, and trudged towards my supervisor's office where I laid myself off. I walked out of work that day just before 10am break, not feeling any sense of liberation or relief, only numbness. I went home and laid in bed for hours, in and out of sleep, feeling sorry for myself for as long as I was conscious. It was the worst I have ever felt my life, and I didn't know how I could make it better. I wasn't sure if I even wanted to. A sad and hopeless victim is what I had become, who no longer wanted to face life – who would have rather died.

The next few days were emotionally charged and filled with a lot of soul searching. I talked with my parents for hours trying to find answers. I didn't want their sympathy, I legitimately wanted help. My mom suggested I go see a doctor and I really thought about it. I thought to myself, I'm not really that bad, just lost, so talking to a professional could help. I figured they'd probably diagnose me as Bi-Polar with anxiety and prescribe Zoloft or Zanax or something like that which might put me in la-la land and help me escape my thoughts. I never followed through with it though thankfully, as I would prefer never to rely on drugs, prescription or not, to overcome emotional issues. Over the next couple of weeks, I gradually started to feel better and back to my old sarcastic self. I had gone through phases like that before where I would get really depressed for a little while and then snap out of it, but it had never been that bad. Even though I was happy I was feeling better, I knew I hadn't resolved my issues so I was wary about the return of those uncontrollable feelings. Shortly thereafter however, a miracle came in the form of an audiotape called, "The Power of Now", by Eckhart Tolle. It was given to me by a friend who had been in a worse situation than I, and in his words told me, "I've read a lot of books man, but this book – this book is the truth." He had given me a book once before that was quite enlightening, so I trusted his judgment. I had no idea however that what I was about to read, and one particular experience I would have while reading, would change not only my life and virtually rid me of depressive thoughts, but also take me on a spiritual journey unlike anything I'd ever experienced and completely reform my view of the world.

Within five minutes of listening to the audiotape I was captivated. The concepts I was being introduced to were so new to me and relevant to my situation. Tolle's main purpose with this book is to make people aware of and become the watcher of what he calls "The egoic mind.", which is the entity responsible for consuming a person with thought and taking them out of the present moment. In other words, when a person finds themselves zoning out in class thinking about all sorts of random things like what they are going to have for dinner later, or about how annoyed they are with someone because of something they did, that is the egoic mind. When a person starts thinking they have worked hard, so they deserve that piece of chocolate cake, six pack of beer, or whatever they believe will "make" them happy, that is the egoic mind. The egoic mind likes to live in the past and the future and search for continuous external sources to make it happy. Another thing the egoic mind likes is to have an identity. It doesn't care what it is, as long as it can identify with something it ensures it's dominance. Hi, my name is Bobby, I am a student at American River College, unemployed, and suffer from anxiety. Albeit a bit clinical, that might be a typical answer from someone when asked who they are. In actuality however, non of those things actually represent who a person is. They are simply words – titles. Don't tell the egoic mind that though – it needs titles to separate itself from others and make itself unique. The opposing force of the egoic mind is what Tolle refers to as "consciousness". When a person is conscious, they are fully engaged in the present moment and thus dissociate with the egoic mind. When I am conscious, I am no longer Bobby Cox the unemployed student with anxiety issues, I am simply in a state of being. Time seems to stop and I exist only as a lifeform in the universe, unbiased, and unassuming. Everybody has experienced this state of "no mind", or consciousness. Playing an instrument or sport, having a great conversation, sex, designing clothes, or other creative activities are all ways in which people can reach this state, and not surprisingly they are things people enjoy doing. However, an external source is not needed to reach this state. A person could simply be sitting on a park bench doing nothing, taking in whatever the moment presents, and be completely conscious. The beauty of moments like those aside from experiencing life as it is with no expectations, is that stress, anger, depression, and other forms of negative emotional based pain cease to exist. Those were the feelings I was consumed by during that period of despair and the feelings that I feared would come back and haunt me. After being enriched with the knowledge I was learning from the book however, the knowledge that I had to the power to control my thoughts and emotions by becoming the watcher of my egoic mind, I no longer feared that. My true moment of liberation however, the moment I would would find my spiritual essence, was still yet to come.

It was an uneventful Sunday evening in the quiet town of Woodland. My best friend (also one of my roommates) and I were hanging out and feeling a bit bored. A couple nights earlier we had some company over and someone left some weed behind, so naturally we decided to light up. We killed a bowl and then proceeded to see who could come up the most ridiculous way to come onto a dance floor. After about an hour and a half that, Harlem Shaking to dubstep, and cracking one liners, we

decided to retire for the night and headed up to our rooms. Still stoned and not exactly ready for sleep, I put on my head phones and started listening to "The Power of Now". Normally when listening to the audiotape, it was one "ah-ha!" moment after another, but this time, I literally felt like I was reborn; brought from darkness into light. Everything that was being said by Tolle made perfect sense and with my brain in such a creative space, I was able to come up with other conclusions related to what I was listening to, such as the significance of life and death and the fact that everything is connected despite differences in external form. I felt like the universe and I were one – that everything I had experienced in my life culminated to that moment of spiritual awakening. I felt Godlike, completely present, and in an enormous state of peace. I felt briefly, during those moments I was experiencing, that I had plugged in and entered true reality.

I woke up the next day still on a spiritual high. I heard blue jays chirping peacefully outside my slightly cracked window and felt the soothing warmth of the blanket that covered my still tingling body. Every sensation was magnified a hundred times over. I focused on every breath I took, feeling the radiant energy of life circulating throughout me. I never knew that such simple things could make me feel so alive. I rolled out of bed and glided downstairs across the the carpet to pour a bowl of cereal, never feeling as though my feet were touching the floor. I have never had a more flavorful bowl of Raisin Bran than on that day. As I ate, I gazed out the window and realized that I then viewed the world in a way I never had before, as a living being just like myself, so full of life, and with so much to offer. That feeling would last a couple days until the mundane, ritualistic activities that dominate much of human life began to once again take their toll on me, and I would slip back into the world of today, a world consumed by the egoic mind. I wouldn't slip back unchanged though. I realized that no matter what was happening outside of me, I had the power to return to that state of bliss whenever I wanted. Whenever I felt the egoic mind try to take control, I became aware of it and concentrated on being present. A changed man, I was no longer a victim of my thoughts, but becoming a master of them.

Although the egoic mind has been, and continues to be responsible for an enormous amount of insanity in our world due to it's constant wanting for more (despite already having plenty) and desire to disassociate with others and make itself "right", it is also responsible for keeping us alive and therefore necessary. It is our survival instinct after all, preventing us from becoming stagnant and complacent – it's just completely outdated. It is an instinct that was developed for dealing with times of severe hardship, possible lack of food, water, or solid shelter, but we now live in a time where that is no longer the reality for the vast majority of our species. Tolle is convinced that we are either going to make an evolutionary change, (disassociating identification with the egoic mind and the world of form) and become conscious, or we are going to destroy ourselves one way or another. Either way, it's just a part of the cycle of life so it doesn't really matter. You either adapt, or you die. It's always been like that and it always will be no matter how simple or complex the life-form. The knowledge I gained from reading this book and subsequently other books related to it, and the night of spiritual transcendence I had, were a part of my evolution as a person. Without them, I'm convinced that I would still be as attached as ever to my egoic mind – lost in negative thoughts and identifying with them as my truth. Those thoughts still do cross my mind from time to time, but as the watcher of my thoughts, I catch them in the act and put a stop to them. I am in charge now and decide to choose my own thoughts. Thank you egoic mind for keeping me alive all these years, but working all that overtime obviously drove you a little crazy. It's time you took a break from running the show and let the real Slim Shady – I mean Bobby Cox, stand up.

No comments: